Board of Review
What is the Board of Review?
The Board of Review is made up of 3 members and 2 alternate members , whom are residents of Clay Township. They have various backgrounds and/or knowledge & experience as it may relate to the Township and properties. They are required to attend training annually and follow the guidelines set forth by the State Tax Commission and Michigan Compiled Laws.
If you are interested in being a member of this board please submit a letter of interest to the Assessing Department and the Township Supervisor or contact the office 810-794-9303
Each year, all property owners will receive an assessment notice in February. If you disagree with the values on your notice you may appeal before the Board of Review. Appeals may be made in person with an appointment, a written appeal, or a taxpayer may send someone to appear on their behalf with written authorization. The days & hours the Board is scheduled to meet will be listed on the notices, newspaper, and Township offices. If appealing in writing a form L-4035 should be submitted and received by the last day the Board is scheduled to meet.
** see specific meeting details listed below**
2021 Board of Review Meeting Schedule
Under the current Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) orders prohibiting in-person meetings. Appeals will be held by scheduled remote access (teleconferencing) or in writing.
Written appeals are highly recommended.
March 8th, Monday March 9th, Tuesday
9:00 a.m.- 12:00 noon and 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
March 10th, Wednesday March 11th, Thursday
2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Contact the Assessing Office at 810-794-9303 to schedule an appointment for remote access teleconferencing appeal or submit in writing using one of the following methods:
1. Email: email@example.com
2. Mail: PO Box 429, Algonac MI 48001
3. Drop Box or Township offices @ 4710 Pte Tremble Rd, Clay Twp. MI 48001
WRITTEN APPEALS MUST BE RECEIVED PRIOR TO 3:00 p.m. MARCH 11, 2021
The public may participate by using the teleconferencing dial-in number 520-420-9961
The dial-in number is valid for all days and times listed above (no access code required)
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, individuals with disabilities requiring auxiliary aids or services should contact the Township Clerk by writing or calling Cindy Valentine 810-794-9303 x 111 P.O. Box 429, Algonac MI 48001 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
JULY- Correct clerical errors and mutual mistakes of facts. Principle Residence Changes
(no value appeals ) Tuesday, July 20, 2021
DECEMBER-Correct clerical errors and mutual mistakes of facts. Principle Residence Changes (no value appeals) Tuesday, December 14, 2021
* The Board of Review can grant Poverty Exemptions at the March, July or December sessions. Poverty Exemption Policies & Guidelines have been adopted by the Township Board- a copy of the application and guidelines are available under the documents page
* The Board of Review can grant Disabled Veteran Exemptions at the March, July or December sessions. Disabled Veteran Affidavit's are available under the documents page and must be submitted with the required letter of authority from the Veterans Administration. Click the link below for additional information https://www.michigan.gov/documents/taxes/Disabled_Veterans_Exemption_FAQ_082614_466519_7.pdf
* decisions by the Board of Review will be mailed to the property owner/taxpayer after adjournment of the Board of Review meetings. If the decision of the Board is unsatisfactory an additional appeal to the Michigan Tax Tribunal may be submitted, for additional information and requirements please go to: www.michigan.gov/taxtrib